A simplified version of Honey layered cake. The beauty of this recipe is that cakes can be baked in advance and stored for several days. This recipe is my mum’s recipe for Królewiec. I made it for my sons Christmas school fair and I have to tell you that my cake was a best seller and even Dylan friends grandmother asked me for the recipe!
Ingredients for 3 cakes
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Ingredients for the custard
1 pint of milk
125g of sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
2 tbsp cornflower
1.5 tbsp of plain flour
1. Reserve a half cup of milk. Put plain and cornflower to the milk and mix well.
2. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil with sugar, vanilla paste and butter.
3. Pour the “flour” milk to the boiling milk and bring everything to boil stirring constantly. If the mixture is not thick enough simmer for a few minutes.
4. Pour half of the custard on the lighter cake, cover with the dark cake and pour the rest of the custard, cover with the lighter cake and pour over the chocolate glaze.
Ingredients for the chocolate glaze
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons of cocoa
3 tablespoons of boiling water
1. Pour water into the pan and dissolve sugar in it (the order of dissolving the individual components is important and ensures that the glaze will have a lovely sheen)
2. Then add the cubed butter and dissolve over a low heat.
3. Remove from the heat and pour the sifted cocoa. Vigorously whisk to form a smooth, shiny glaze. Allow to cool slightly and pour over the cake.